Strong Second Half Push from IWU Denies DePauw Win

Strong Second Half Push from IWU Denies DePauw Win

Greencastle, Ind. -- An aggressive second half from Illinois Wesleyan erased a 3-1 deficit into a 4-3 win as they denied DePauw their second win of the season on Wednesday.

DePauw played some of their best soccer in the first half. Their three goals before halftime were already a season-high for the Tigers, who entered having just scored four goals on the year.

After Illinois Wesleyan's Cameron Hindel scored to make it 1-0 at 13:38, DePauw had two breakway goals 10 minutes apart at 24:27 and 34:02.

On the first, Alex Berkley led Alex Wendt from midfield, and with only the goalie in front of her Wendt tied the game at 1-1. The same thing happened on their next goal, however, this time Mallory Dillon led Bailey Ehrens for her first goal of the season.

Before the half came to an end, Berkley was awarded a penalty kick after a hand ball in the box and made it count with her first goal of the season.

And just like that DePauw had a 3-1 lead at halftime.

The Titans came out a different team in the second half, controlling the majority of possession time. The Titans outshot DePauw 18-5 in the game and 10-1 in the second half.

DePauw kept them in check for about the first 30 minutes of the half before the Titans scored three times in a span of about 11 minutes.

Kaitlyn Chen scored at 73:16 after she rebounded her own shot, which bounced off the post. At 77:40, Hindel scored her second goal of the game to bring her season total to 9 after beating two DePauw defenders and scoring past goalie Mia Manney.

Finally, Illinois Wesleyan scored off a corner kick at 84:04 with Jordan Bruscianelli getting credit for the goal and Anna Eager on the assist.

Manney made five saves in net for the Tigers. Illinois Wesleyan keeper Kelli McCarthy recorded none but improved her and the team's record to 7-2.

DePauw falls to 1-7 and will get back into NCAC action Saturday when they host Hiram at 5 p.m.